Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cafeteria food

I have been eating in the cafeteria almost every day since I came to NDC at August the 13th for preseason. The cafeteria serves 4 meals a day during the week and 2 during the weekend and my meal plan allows me to eat nineteen meals a week. The reason for writing about cafeteria food is that I am getting more and more pissed off that the food is so low-quality. Notre Dame College is a school that is so focussed on athletes with it's 17 different sport teams and more than 400 student athletics according to Sue Hlavacek. In my point of view it should be very important to give healthy food to the students and especially to the student athletes who are representing the school.
A typical cafeteria would contain spaghetti bolognese, bread, pizza and drinks from the fountain. They have pizza at least 3 times a day and I even saw it at breakfast once. Honestly I think I have never eaten as unhealthy in my life as I do at the moment and all my inetrnational (mainly english) teammates agree with this as we already spoke about the crappy cafeteria-food. You could reply to this introduction with the question " why don't you just go for the vegetables then?". This is because I have tried to eat salad and other vegetables a few times but the quality of this vegetables and the way they are served is so bas that a rather go for the unhealthy "eat-able" food. I ate tomato pieces yesterday and they were still frozen. I had string beans last week and they were hard as a rock. The thing is that I just cannot understand how you can serve this quality of food with a brand new cafeteria and qualified cooks. I don't want to be ignorant and too negative with this blog but I know for sure that the whole school agrees with this reaction to the cafeteria food : "Even I can make better food for myself then the cafeteria". So what could be a solution for healthier and better food in the cafeteria? I think the solution lays in stop serving pizza 3 times a day and try to make a more healthy and vegetable-based menu for the students. After all unhealthy food is one of the biggest problems of America with it's increasing overweight-rate.

No comments: